What makes The Lake Merritt so special is the unique opportunity we offer our residents to be part of a community that views growing older and retirement as an opportunity for learning, having new experiences and being engaged in community life.
We bring people together, young and old, to learn, discuss and explore a wide range of topics from health promotion to social and environmental issues and local initiatives.
Join us for our Topics of Merritt, a weekly lecture series that brings experts, authors, and enthusiasts to offer talks for our residents. This free program welcomes the public.
Our complimentary programming offers:
- Stimulating speakers
- Skilled instructors who offer a variety of classes
- Unique experiences tailored to the interests and needs of our residents
Some of our activities include:
- Weekly lecture series – Topics of Merritt
- Fitness programs - 6 classes per week
- Creative writing
- Tech help and walking partner programs with high school students
- Album Club
- Political and philosophical discussion groups each week
- Book Club
- Monthly museum trips
- Regular excursions to a variety of Bay Area hot spots
- Concerts at outside venues, as well as in-house
- Monthly resident council and activities planning meetings
- Opportunities to give back to the community
- Art classes and workshops
- English-as-a-Second-Language (ESL) Conversations in partnership with Laney College
- Brain Aerobics
- Happy hour events and parties in our lake-view restaurant
- Holiday Celebrations
- Opportunities to interact with the public at social and educational events
- and more!
Boating on the Bay
Bird Watching During Trail Walking
Enjoying the Views of the Bay Area
Feeling Like a Kid Again
Ping-Pong Play Time
San Francisco Outings to the Ferry Building
A Museum Adventure
Making New Friends at the Zoo
Pints with Pals at Faction Brewing
Creativity is Endless
Strolling Lake Temescal
Flora and Fauna, Oh My!
Fun Chocolate Tours
Napa Valley Wine Adventures
Boating with Family on Lake Merritt
Warrior's Parade Fun - Go Dubs!
Live Music in The Terrace Room
Inspiration Around Every Corner